Skip to main content

tv   CNN This Morning  CNN  February 21, 2024 5:00am-6:00am PST

5:00 am
pendulum is just totally sworn. every single industry, trucking, shipping, you name it hollywood workers >> appreciate it. as >> okay. >> love this biance breaking barriers. once again this thing no down her new song, texas, hold them, debuted at the top. a billboard's hot country songs chart, making her the first ever black female artists to steal that top spot. this also makes her the first woman to top both. the hot country and hot r&b hip-hop song charts since the list began in 19 between 58 joining morgan wallen, justin bieber, billy ray cyrus, and ray charles as the only artist to have fled ocha charming know you'll recall biance surprise fans, but releasing two singles, texas hold him at 16, care they're just during the super bowl. her new album, the second installment of the renaissance
5:01 am
will be out on march 29. is there anything i would just cannot do its official yeah. it's a 14 >> forever and ever >> loved that song. this morning continues right now. >> this should put the nail in the coffin, because not only is there no evidence of any wrongdoing by president biden, but it now appears as if the house republican majority is being used by russia to interfere in the 2024 election on behalf of donald trump well, that is new reaction from democratic congressman dan goldman after a stunning development in the fbi informant case, goldman, of course, a top critic the republican efforts to impeach president biden according to the justice department, the indicted x and foreman says he got false allegations about hunter biden and ukraine from russian intelligence what does this mean for his case and the push to impeach the president also happening right now, a last-ditch appeal by julian assange, more than a decade
5:02 am
after being in charge and the wikileaks scandal, what could happen today? that's since him to america for trial and a passenger jet diverted over damaged wing, one passenger describing what they heard well, on board this hour of cnn this morning starts now >> and, >> this is where we begin the x fbi informant charged with lying about the bidens is now telling investigators that russian spies bet him all of that false information. his name is alexandra smirnoff. he hit his face. they're under a scarf, hoodie and mask and sunglasses as he left the courthouse in las vegas yesterday, the justice department is warning that smirnoff is still, quote, actively pedaling new lies that could impact the presidential election in november, a prosecutor say smirnoff claims to have met with russian intelligence officials as recently as just three months ago it's a major twist and raising serious questions about the effort by house republicans
5:03 am
to impeach president biden. let's bring in cnn senior crime and justice reporter katelyn polantz and cnn senior law enforcement analyst and former fbi deputy director andy mccabe, kaitlan, always start with you when you walk through this indictment there's a lot that stands out. what really caught your attention? >> phil and poppy, this is about disinformation. that's the overarching thing, both in the indictment of alexander smirnoff, ad in what the justice department is saying now, in the indictment accusing him of lying and providing false information to the fbi and agency. he was infrequent contact with giving them information finn about hunter biden, things that could be damaging about joe biden in the 2020 election, the justice department now says those were lies. and then what we hear from them this week in court now that i'll explain smear and i've has been arrested and spoke to authorities after his arrest. he continued to be providing information to the fbi. now saying that he was in touch with russian authorities.
5:04 am
so not only was this informant of the fbi providing false information about joe biden and hunter biden now, there is this this piece of it tying him back, not just in 2020 when he was talking to them, them but now in the 2024 election, talking to russian intelligence officials, spies in russia, and providing information as well. >> that's one of the things ended. was most striking to me as they say this thread is ongoing, right? and it could impact november 2. questions, daddy, how would do you buy this that it came from russian spies and how would the fbi go about? verifying that >> sure. so your first question i think is the hardest one. i mean, it's a confounding piece of reporting partially because on one hand it makes sense. it is consistent with what we know the russians did in the last two presidential cycles. that is interfere with the election and also so do so on behalf of trying to help candidate trump. >> however,
5:05 am
>> i think there's a lot of reasons poppy to question whether or not this is accurate and to question whether or not the government even believes that it's true. i mean, first of all, the indictment of a source that's been on the books as it were for ten years is essentially doj's version of a burn notice. this is the way that they are telling the world. you cannot believe anything that this person says and then i think it's also important to remember that context with which we learned us. this is not an indictment, it is not a motion before the court in which the government is trying to prove the truth of the position they're taking, what they're essentially saying in this bail. this is an application to see that he's denied bail and what they're saying is you cannot believe this person cannot trust this person and therefore, they shouldn't be trusted with bail. and i think finally the last thing for me that leans in this direction is if the government actually believed
5:06 am
these ongoing contact with russian intelligence are true, they would likely have an investigative interest in that if they had an investigative interest in that, they would not be exposing this person's connection to intelligence officials in such chip public way. so i think there's a lot that mitigates against it. what you do with it now is you try to do exactly what they did in the indictment. they in the indictment they went back and looked at all of his emails to them. they looked at his emails to other people. they looked at his travel records. and when they pieced all that uncontroversial evidence together it painted a picture that this guy had been lying to them about the reporting that alleged a corrupt deal on behalf of joe and hunter biden's. so that's the sort of corroboration they need to do. >> now, kaitlan, >> those lies at least scroll to the justice department also form a pretty significant chunk of the basis of a republican impeachment inquiry. can you like how much of this sits at the center of what house republicans have been pursuing? what does this do for that
5:07 am
effort? >> well, house republicans are trying to distance themselves from this. that was the initial reaction after the indictment of smirnoff, but there have been saying he was credible and this was something the things that he was falsely telling the fbi about those were in the political bloodstream. so now house republicans are still trying to muster some sort of impeachment of president joe biden trying to leak him, link him to foreign money what alexander smear knob was saying about foreign money coming into joe biden and hunter biden through burisma, through ukraine. that was false. and so that part does not exist anymore, but that doesn't mean that house republicans are done. we still expect them to do an interview with joe biden's brother, james biden today on capitol hill hunter biden is still scheduled to sit for a deposition next week. that long fought over deposition or interview with house republicans in this
5:08 am
impeachment saga. they are going to be bringing him in that has been agreed to. >> yeah. >> forgive people, andy, if they're a little bit confused on all of this, what the political side of it that kaitlan is just talking about. and then the ongoing case says against hunter biden, those charges are related to gun possession, firearm possession, and also taxes. does this impact? that at all >> well, it's a great question and i think hunter biden's lawyers are doing kind of a very artful job of trying to tie the two. >> and >> what they're essentially saying is that when they were on the brink of a plea deal last summer, that would have resolved the gun charges and the tax charges. >> they are >> alleging that it was at that time that they received this reporting or had renewed interest in this reporting by this source and that understanding that these crazy corruption allegations made them pull back from the plea deal that they had already
5:09 am
agreed to a hunter biden's lawyers are essentially arguing like, look, the very reporting that the government was relying upon to walk away from this deal was false by their own claims. now and so therefore, judge, you should force them to live up to to the deal that they that they had negotiated a plea deal that negotiated previously. i'm not sure that that's going to work for them, but it's a pretty interesting legal maneuver. >> credit for speed to in which they started to move on that renew re-animate gave kevin paul it's appreciate it, guys. thank you. >> so five days after alexei navalny's death, we are finally hearing donald trump's speak about the russian opposition leader. >> but instead of condemning vladimir putin and trump double down on a narrative that his legal troubles are somehow the same as what alexey navalny went through in russia we are turning into a communist country in many ways. and if you look at it, i'm the leading candidate. i got into. i never heard of being indicted before i was i got indicted four
5:10 am
times. i have eight or nine trials all because of the fact that, you know this all because of the fact that i'm in politics because forum of navalny, it is a form of communism or fascism >> it is not in fact a form of any of those things here to discuss those, cnn political commentator bakari sellers and cnn senior political commentator, ana navarro bakari, i want to start with you because i've pointed this out several times, like when you're flying and i've been playing when you live in mar-a-lago, when you get an hour of primetime television to have a full platform like you are not alexey navalny. however, the kind of martyrdom, it's about me and i'm a victim has worked very well in the republican primary can he continue that as we move toward a general election >> yes, he can continue it. i mean, he's been doing this now for the better part of eight years, but the problem i have is not with donald trump though. donald trump is not a very smart man he's almost
5:11 am
just someone who accident deadly falls into these places. but my problem is those individuals around him who we perceive to have good common sense. the individuals in the united states senate, some of those individuals who embolden him, some people in the media. but donald trump has done something beyond being this person who doesn't have a great deal of intellect, his crew created this ecosystem or this echo chamber around him. they reinforces these views, which are just utterly disgusting. i feel really bad for alexey navalny's wife. i feel bad for those who support him having to go through this shame again, having to go through this while they're grieving, where you have someone up here who's running for president of the free world, comparing their plight to his is just disrespectful but he's not a smart man. it's the people around him which should scare the rest of the country >> and i'm interested in your reaction to what president biden said about this yesterday here he was the former
5:12 am
president has said so dangerous, it does nothing but encourage bad behavior. why does trump always blame america? putin is responsible for navalny's death? why can't trump just say that putin is responsible >> it comes on the same day that our colleague mj lee has some really interesting reporting that biden is directing the people around him, his aides, to highlight the crazy stuff bleep. bleep? >> that trump is saying. and to do so in public, what are your thoughts this morning >> well certainly you can include this in the crazy bleep that trump says. and i think that's a great idea. i think that biden campaign should have a morning session. they should have a morning tiktok, a morning instagram and morning outlet in social media where they highlight the crazy stuff that trump said the day before, they might need more than 280 characters. they might need
5:13 am
more than one page because it is a daily routine this is particularly offensive and to me it's just befuddling. it's amazing. i have no explanation for how the party that i grew up idolizing ronald reagan that confronted communism that took on the ussr, that took on the ortega is and the castros of the world can be he towered to this horrible fasting dictator in russia and just instead, somehow equate to what's happening in america it beyond stupid, if beyond the crazy, it's offensive. and it is disgusting. we should, as americans, all we speaking with one voice condemning vladimir putin and what he is doing is killing the desistance. he is killing the opposition and the blood on behance is on vladimir putin, not has this weird need
5:14 am
for martyrdom. >> always the martyr. he's always christ leg figure that, war was me. i've never seen anybody who's bill barr with more had more privilege, just kinda bestowed on him because of his birth and his last name and the position in life. and yet complaints more about being mistreated. give me a break. do you got serving in vietnam you got into great because of your last name. you got money given to you, you got out of out of a bankruptcy because of your connections and you're still complaining about your lot in life come to some, some neighbor we should note bakari and i can take either some neighborhoods >> bakari >> on the other side when it comes to joe biden i would
5:15 am
actually go i would like to travel through neighborhoods with both of you. i think they would actually be very interesting last night. >> once again my momma says you need to eat some more so you can come any day at a week. >> i i am absolutely. and let's book it now >> last night, the >> president when he's out a fundraising swaying their another good round of fundraising numbers, the campaign. and i always joke, poppy about this, like you read the the pool reports where he's at a closed-door fundraiser, not on cam, and he just kind of lays out the attack lines in a way a normal candidate would that we don't actually see from him on camera. and my question will perpetually be, why are we seeing more? i like, why are we seeing more of it? because behind the scene, i talked to the people these fundraisers, they so he's fine, he's normal. these are good attack lines. why are we seeing more >> i can't answer that question. i mean, i think i think that is the frustration that many people who are clamoring for more joe biden have julie rodriguez. let me
5:16 am
just say this is the best campaign manager that one can have. i mean she is doing an amazing job with what she has around her and she is going to be the reason that this campaign survives. and as a success, i think they're people who were closer and more and confidants to joe biden who have some beer. i would advise them to embrace his age. i mean, i would even do funny clips maybe do a clip on ig or tiktok or snapchat from a senior home and be in the senior home and talk about all the accomplishments you have and the things you wanna do in the future. go out and play tennis and eat dinner at 04:00 p.m. cipollone, some prune juice. i mean, embrace it, laugh about it. make it funny, get some good writers. but embrace that and then go out in the public and greet people. people know that you're at something years old, but they still want to see you. they understand that you've been consequential you the most consequential grandfather, this country's ever seen, embrace it, go up there and be your
5:17 am
authentic self joe biden is empathetic. joe biden is witty and joe biden has done a lot for this country in bridging the gap since donald trump. but he has to get out of washington and the people around him, not named julie rodriguez, half the bill, great job of just letting him go and letting him be it's dinner at 04:00 p.m. by the way, just wondering. yeah. on one of those fundraisers, it was held here in miami by chris forage, who was a friend of mine. >> that >> campaign finance chair, a d&c finance chair. it was it had highest hall in history for any presidential candidate in florida over $6 million raised that afternoon. and i heard his pitch and look, i think part of the reason you don't see him doing it outside of these closed doors is because he also has to be present. right and so what punching and punching and punished? king at trump while
5:18 am
he's saying that he's trying to be a uniter is not is not the look. i think he wants to reflect that he's trying to bring a resolution to the middle east, that he's trying to condemn putin as he's trying to do all these other precedential things there they campaign mode and as a presidential. but i think at some point very, very soon we need to see more of the joe biden that i saw in that closed door meeting because he's very effective. he's funny. he engaging and people are responding to him enthusiast likely you'll see it raising numbers. people don't give money two people, they don't think can win or what to win >> and i thank you, bakari. thank you. let's all have 04:00 p.m. dinner together and toast >> thank you very much. >> so big day ahead right now. one final hearing could determine if julian assange's extradited to the united states, will take you live to that court next
5:19 am
>> united states have scans with jake tapper sunday, a nine on cnn, fashion moves fast. >> so we partner with verizon to take our operations to the next level with a custom private 5g network, we get more control of production, efficiencies and greater agility. that's enterprise intelligence. >> it's your vision, it's your verizon with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. my skin was no longer and are mine my active psoriatic arthritis joint symptoms held me back. >> don't let symptoms to fine. you emerge as you with trump via most people saw 90% clear of skin at for months. and the majority stay clear at five years from phi is proven to significantly reduce joint pain, stiffness, and it's swelling, it's just six doses a year after to starter doses. >> sumy is allergic reactions may occur, can fire, may increase your risk of infections and lower your ability to fight them. tell you, dr. have an infection or symptoms, or if you had a vaccine or plan to emerge as you emerge, treme phi, it ask
5:20 am
your dr. about trump via i told myself i was okay with my moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis symptoms with my psoriatic arthritis symptoms but just okay. isn't okay. >> and i was done to settling >> if you still have symptoms after a tnf blocker like humira or n roll? greenville he's different and may help revoke is a once-daily pill that can rapidly relieve joint pain, stiffness, and swelling in ra and psa relief fatigue for some and stop joint damage. and in psa can leave skin clear or almost clear, red vote can lower your ability to fight infections, including tb, serious infections, and blood class, some fatal cancers including lymphoma and skin part attack, stroke, and gi tears occurred. people 50 and older with a heart disease risk factor have an increased risk of death, serious so allergic reactions can occur. tell your dr. if you are or may become pregnant, done saddling.
5:21 am
>> ask you rheumatologists for renzo and take back what's yours? abby could help you save saving for over 45 years has taken a toll on my body. i'd take kunal term wreck because it helps with healthy joints and inflammation support. why cuno has superior absorption compared to regular turmeric kunal, the brand i trust >> life diabetes. there's no slowing down. each day is a unique blend of people to see. and thanks to do that's why you choose glissando to help manage blood sugar response uniquely designed with carbs steady glue, sirna, bring on the day
5:22 am
with fast sides signage that gets you noticed and turns hot lots into homes that's side's >> make your statement >> erin burnett, outfront tonight at seven on cnn >> welcome back right now, lawyers for the us government or in a london courtroom arguing that wikileaks founder julian assange should be extradited to the us today is the second day of a hearing into whether assad should be allowed to appeal an earlier extradition decision against him. assange is not there. he missed yesterday's hearing because his lawyer said he was unwell you'll recall sounds disseminated, classified material related to the wars in iraq and afghanistan. lawyers for the us it's government argue he is not a journalist or popular publisher and should be extradited to face charges
5:23 am
under the espionage act, assange has lived in london since the us charged him to uk high court judges are hearing the case if they rule in favor of ahsan, she can appeal the extradition decision >> let's go now to rebecca vincent. she is the director of campaigns that reporters without borders and organization that has petitioned for sanchez released for years. she spent the morning in the court listening to these proceedings before we get into the bigger picture here, i'm interested in your view. i know where you stand on this, but the us government's case, the lawyers that they're laying out right now, is there anything new that the us lawyers are presenting in terms of what they're trying to say here. >> so far this morning we did hear the us start to respond to the arguments made for the basis of this application. i'd say they've doubled down. we haven't heard anything particularly new this morning. the arguments again about the disclosure of bulk information, the disclosure of names, which they argue goes beyond journalistic practices but
5:24 am
it's my organizations position and actually that of his own defense that this was done in the public interests or the leaked classified documents informed public interest reporting around the world. and if assange has prosecuted in this way, the precedent would then be sat, that could apply to journalists and media organizations, to many others. it's a normal journalistic practice to report on the basis of leaked information. we will see you this afternoon if the us will respond to some quite shocking information discussed yesterday about this allegations of cia officials plotting his possible kidnapping or assassination. we haven't yet heard that the us take that on in court, but that could happen this afternoon. >> yeah the question that judges don't have on that is what evidence do you have of that that assertion back to your point about this is what reporters and journalists do. the the counter-argument to that. and you wrote a really interesting op-ed in the guardian that i would encourage everyone to read making this case the counter-argument to that is his points could have been made public that included
5:25 am
redactions of some of the most sensitive classified information. the other question becomes, you know, if that becomes the precedent? does it encourage more cyber threats of more release of very sensitive information? that is a differentiator here. and i wonder how you respond to that >> so that's quite a complicated area of the case that tends to be overly simplified because it wasn't actually wikileaks that initially published the unredacted dataset. an unusual series of circumstances lead to the disclosure of the password by one of the media partners that wikileaks had worked with another party, access to it and was the first to publish. we've heard but evidence in previous court proceedings of how assange tried to stop that, how he then colds the white house and the state department warns them that publication was coming, urge them to take action to protect anybody who might be harmed. so it's not as straightforward as it looks, and it's not as simple as him putting people at risk. he actually tried to avert risks. and so it's it's really complex and doesn't often gets
5:26 am
a time in court or the time in public debate that that should merit >> and rebecca, just for people who are trying to figure out how this continues, it's obviously been going on for a long time. if julian assange loses today, it kind of starts the clock at 28 de clock, i believe there is another mechanism you can try them first sue, but it's today kind of viewed as the critical decision >> so we may not get a decision today. i hope we learn today at least when to expect that, but usually we'll take a bit more time. if all of his grounds for appeal or rejected this time, there is no further domestic recourse, so then it would be only the european court of human rights. however, if any of these grounds are accepted, there could be further hearings in the uk. so it very much depends on what happens next, but it has been going on a very long time, 13 years and counting, although we still hope that the british justice system will deliver some form of justice at this late stage ultimately at its core, this is a political case and it's still within the power of the us
5:27 am
government to bring this to a close. in other ways, which we've urged the biden administration to find a political solution. he's been in a high-security prison for nearly five years already. surely, regardless of what they think enough is enough. five years is enough. you have just very briefly before we go put forward your argument that you believe a political solution to this is more appropriate than a legal one. what is the argument you're making >> well, we hope that a legal solution is still possible, but because it's a political case, it may not be the courts that don't, that deliver that solution. we we believed that he shouldn't be he punished a single day more, he shouldn't be in prison. and the uk and the us or anywhere. it's been 13 long years. the leaker in this case, chelsea manning, served seven years in prison, and then president obama commuted her sentence, stating her longer sentence was disproportionate. but if julian assange has extradited, he faces possibly 175 years in prison that's absurd by any pretext. and i think for the country of the first amendment i would expect us to do better
5:28 am
and we'd call again on the us government to abide by its own obligations, to take a stand for press freedom and for journalism and find a way out of this sooner rather than later. >> rebecca vincent on a critical day in the uk. thank you. >> a once peaceful country >> descends into gang violence. we're gonna take you inside, were the most infamous prisons in the world where killers are terrorists are roaming freely >> and why alexei navalny's mother is now finally a lawsuit after her son's death in prison in russia >> tempur-pedic design that ergo postmarked base to help you fall asleep more easily. it's gentle massage and relaxing sounds help calm your mind every night for limited time, save up to $500 on select tempur-pedic adjustable mattress said with fast sirens create factory great visual solutions to perfect your process that's side's make
5:29 am
your statement. >> i have type two diabetes, but i'm manage to well, it's later pill with the big story to tell. i take once-daily hey, john it was easy nordean's worked 24/7 in your body to flush out some sugar. and for adults with type two diabetes and heart disease, giardia is can lower the risk of cardiovascular death death to serious side effects may include ketoacidosis that may be fatal, dehydration that can lead to sudden worsening of kidney function and genital yeast for >> urinary tract infections are rare, life-threatening bacterial infection in the skin of the perineum could occur, stuff jardiance and call your dr. right away if you have symptoms of disinfection, ketoacidosis for an allergic reaction, you may have increased risk for lower limb loss. call your dr. right away. if you have symptoms of infection in your legs or feet, taking jardiance with a sulfonylurea or insulin may cause low blood sugar as a
5:30 am
cardiologist when i put my patients on a statin to reduce >> cholesterol, i also tell them it can deplete their coat. q ten levels. i recommend taking qn all co q. queue at all has three times better absorption than regular posts putin, kunal, the brand i trust forced to be recommended >> know that you seek, what do your business bank account with quickbooks money now earn 5% apy 5% apy yep, that's how you business differently >> after advil, let's dive in. >> what about your back >> for advil >> advil dual action bytes paying two ways, abdel is this
5:31 am
just mute? you won't mutual? >> hi manu raju on capitol hill in >> this is cnn >> how are we ever going to find a car to fit our bucha and it fits all of us. i don't want to spend more than 30 k lij. i want something we can go
5:32 am
camping >> and we need parking oh, carvana. >> by your car that you the way with carvana >> five thing ron to you by carvana. carvana. >> dale drive you happy it is a busy wednesday morning here, five things to know. the supreme court could respond soon to donald trump's emergency he requests in the federal election subversion case, he is appealing a lower court decision that denied his claim of absolute presidential immunity. georgia >> republican governor brian kemp tells cnn that special counsel jack smith, interviewed him about the federal election subversion case. trump pressured kemp to help overturn president biden's 2020 win in the state. kim says he told smith he follows the law in the constitution. >> the mother of alexei navalny is suing to get access to her son's body after he died in a russian prison, she released a video yesterday asking vladmir putin to quote, let me see my son, police in kansas city say they have charged two men with
5:33 am
second-degree murder and the shooting at the chiefs super bowl parade last week, local dj least so lopez galvin was killed and more than 20 other people were injured. >> today, jury selection begins in a trial over the shooting death on the set of the movie. rust. prosecutors say armorer hannah gutierrez read handled the gun that was held by alec baldwin when it fired the shot that killed cinematographer halyna hutchins more on these stories all day right here on cnn, cnn.com, don't forget to download the five things podcast every morning. right now, ecuador is embroiled in violence as gangs and terror groups prompt chaos nationwide. cnn then got a rare inside look at how the country's prisons serve not as punishment, but as command centers. >> for example, take a look at this cell which held one of ecuador's most notorious gang leaders. it has, yes, the queen size bed, many fridge, even a courtyard so why did he escape your cnn's david coleman >> it's as though they're stepping into a war zone. ecuador's military and national police, trailing
5:34 am
armored vehicle in a rate of one of the country's 35 prisons inside prisoners stripped down, hands tied, scenes like this have played out across ecuador over the past few weeks. the armed forces making a very public show of force, attempting to reinstate order within in their own prisons it's part of ecuador's effort to neutralize terror groups and wheat out gangs which have unleashed chaos nationwide from a live tv studio, armed takeover >> two >> random shootings in the streets. this most recent surge jim violence sparked by this suspected escape of this man, her say either from ics known as veto on january 7, officials reported that while serving a 34 year sentence for murder and drug trafficking, the notorious gang leader vanished from this prison in guayaquil uh, drones view, allows us to grasp the
5:35 am
scale of this complex. it is sprawling, not really much of a prison uniform. they're all kind of in their own clothes officials, tell us, it's made up of five different prisons through military in prison sources. we get a sense of the layout we learned the women are kept here. these buildings house the men and they range from minimum to medium-security . and over here, maximum security known as lateral ocha or the rock >> with a >> military escort, we go past the first of three perimeters. any farther were told to dangerous, even with armed soldiers were told inmates are separated based on gang affiliation and are essentially self-ruled. and you can see behind one of these gates, folks kind of moving comfortably and casually from cell to cell. it's kind of an indoor, outdoor complex. >> cnn obtaining these videos from inside by prison standards, they reveal a life of luxury for fito, drug kingpin. the images captured
5:36 am
last year by members of ecuador's military. >> they appear to show >> feet those cell messy but complete with home comforts on many fridge, a queen bed upscale shower fittings work featuring an image of fetal himself with guns and cash >> going he lives like a king. >> you can hear one of the soldiers say in this video obtained by cnn and verified by ecuador's military outside his own courtyard at a half dozen fighting roosters believed to be his, a military source tells us veto had a fresh fish important for his meals, and somehow even managed to shoot a music video from within the prison walls. >> we >> isa, showing these images of fritos 42nd birthday in 2022, the prisoners reportedly enjoyed cake music, and drinks. the night capped off with fireworks somebody might have
5:37 am
to. >> he had more power outlets than a marriott hotel room. ecuador's president danielle naboa said late last year. so why escape ecuadorian security experts believe that a fito was tipped off, that he was going to be transferred in the same complex back to the rock maximum security veto spent a few weeks in the rock class year moving him. they're involved in estimated 4,000 police and soldiers. his sudden disappearance suggesting he wasn't ready to leave the comfort of his cell the government's focus now is to reassert control role within, but it won't be easy. prison raids have turned up everything from laptops to guns >> present naboa also announcing the construction of new prisons designed by the same company behind el salvador's notorious >> mega presence, where thousands of suspected gang members are locked up back outside of the prison in guayaquil you can hear church
5:38 am
services going on, some sort of religious ceremony, loudspeakers soldiers and police stand guard on the perimeter, knowing that it's often the gangs whose still dictate what happens on the inside. david culver, cnn, guayaquil, ecuador the latest of remarkable pieces that david's done out of ecuador. our thanks to david culver for another great piece, but we're getting new information about an 11 year-old girl found dead after she missed the bus to school. police said they've arrested the prime suspect and reveal his lengthy criminal record. well, more now next grace didn't believe in magic but adulthood he was happy to prove her wrong. >> you were >> made to dream about for years. we will need to help you book it in minutes >> why choose a numbers, swipe bad? >> can it keep me warm when i'm cold?
5:39 am
>> wait, no, i'm always hot. sleep number. does that can i make my side softer? >> i like my side firmer. >> number. does that can, i, help us sleep better and better please speak debris. does that 94% of smart sleepers report better sleep? now? say 50% of the sleep number limited edition smart bet plus 10% off all basis ends monday >> a perfect day for a family outing. >> shingles doesn't care, but ingrid's wrote ttx only shingles has proven over 90% in fact, if she reaches a vaccine used to prevent shingles and adults 50 years and older, she looks does not protect everyone that is not for those with severe allergic reactions to its ingredients, sort of a previous dose, an increased risk of deal bombard a syndrome was observed after getting chain bricks, fainting, can also happen. the most common side effects are pain, redness and swelling at the injection site, muscle pain, tiredness, headache, shivering, fever, and upset stomach. ask your daughter you're a pharmacist of our chambers today. >> t-mobile build a 5g networks. so powerful, it goes beyond the expected.
5:40 am
>> and now >> t-mobile 5g internet for homes it's in businesses, is here. >> also. hear, >> here, here, here. even here, whatever shape your home or business is, t-mobile well, it's bringing high-speed internet and towns across america, only 15 minutes set up and just 50 bucks a month, but no exploding bills or annual contract with fast sides signage that gets you noticed. it turns hot, lots into homes that's signs make your statement >> joy. mid-conversation with gayle king of kings here with some high king charles barkley.
5:41 am
>> wire ran hates america sunday at eight on cnn well,
5:42 am
there's a tragic end to the case of the missing girl in texas authorities say they've recovered the remains of 11 year-old audrey coming cunningham, who >> vanished on thursday while on her way to school near houston. >> and the polk county district attorney's office is charging the girls neighbor, don steven mcdougal, who was arrested on friday on unrelated charges. mcdougal well, says he's not guilty he says he's done nothing wrong with us. now, cnn, chief law enforcement and intelligence analyst john miller does not have to tell you this is every parent's worst nightmare. so someone who lived on their property that they trusted trusted so much that he could bring her to the bus stop take us into the hours, days of searching for her from when the sheriff found out she was missing to this well, in this case, the polk county sheriff did what needed to be done, which is he realized going in. we know what to do, but we're going to need a lot of help be called in the texas rangers, the texas department of public safety, but he also called in the fbi and the fbi brings in the kharge team that's the child abduction rapid deployment
5:43 am
team. this is almost like something out of a tv show. it's five seasoned agents who have worked child abduction cases before. it's a polygraph expert it's a member of the cast team, which is the cellular phone tracking people who can great tracking and maps depending on if they have a target, a couple of analysts to put all the information together into a computer and leads and mapping >> why because we all know from these cases that the first 24 hours is so critical we know in child abduction cases that end with the death of the child 76% of those happen within the first three hours. at 9% happened within the first 24 hours. so literally when you go into that case it's a race against time. so he brought in all kinds of resources, which is how they identify the suspect quickly, which is how they were able to resolve it quickly. but again, in this case in the race against time, they probably didn't have much even when they started.
5:44 am
>> the suspect in this case. poppy points out the proximity he also had a pretty lengthy rap sheet. believe, what do we know about him >> so he is a bit of a drifter around texas because when you read his rap sheet, it goes from county to county, town to town. it's a lot of low-end stuff. duis, drug possession resisting arrest, assault, but there is a telling case on there where he is accused of sexual exploitation of a child that would have made him a registered sex offender. that particular charge. but the court records indicate it was downgraded to a guilty plea of child enticement. and this goes back several years. so he literally wasn't on the radar in that regard and what we learned from these cases again, is we think as parents as as, as people that the child abductor is going to be this bogey man. he's the sum drifter who came from out of the neighborhood and saw a child
5:45 am
and snatched sum up. we keep learning over and over again that the vast majority of child abduction cases involve somebody who knows the house, who knows the family, who's familiar with the children, either a friend or a casual acquaintance, a neighbor. a neighbor teenage child we think back to you our viewers. you guys remember this, charlotte sena october not that long ago on a state new york. yeah. that's a miracle case where a founder, they founder and they found her alive in a trailer of someone who founder in a park. so you know, these things, these things are every parent's nightmare. and what can you do about that? it's you can try to things which is one know the people around you who might have access to your children. now, most of us don't have the resources to do an extensive background check the other thing is to tell your child, don't go with anybody who says to come with me in less even if you know them,
5:46 am
unless you ask us first. but that's hard for kids. >> that even with this downgrade, it's not clear that anything would have shown up. >> no, that's right. extent on the background check, john, thanks for the reporting. >> thanks. >> the faa is going to investigate after a united airlines flight from san francisco to boston was forced to divert to denver due to a damaged wing. take a look at this pretty shocking video. it shows the plane flying with damage to the front of the weighing 165 passengers so we're on board. the boeing 757200, and this is on monday when the right-wing appeared to start reading. united says the plane safely made that emergency landing nearly 2000 miles from its planned destination. another plane carrying those passengers on the boston. >> well, government says the number of people homeless hit a record high last year when go to la, one simple solution may help people rebuild their lives. that's next united states of scandal with jake tapper sunday at nine on cnn >> nexium, 24 hour prevents
5:47 am
heartburn acid before it begins. get all day and all night. heartburn acid prevention we just one pill a day. choose as the prevention. choose, nxivm >> with fast side's create factory great visual solutions to perfect your process that's side's make your statement. >> this is a tempur-pedic mattress and it's designed to help make aches and pains a thing of the past by relieving pressure points and supporting your body in a way no other mattress can for limited time save up to $500 on select tempur-pedic adjustable mattress sets. >> one barbus which to turbotax. >> i've wrote for generations of family tradition with five little words i want to make perfume >> getting my business off the ground was a full-time job
5:48 am
>> so i made bbs new site did count by guaranteeing 100% accurate filing in a maximum leaf make your moves, will make them count into its turbotax, 100% accuracy guaranteed >> qia movement that inspires selling your home realtor.com, real choice celie lets you choose from multiple agent proposals. because when agents competing you win, don't all have still not really trust the number one app real estate professionals trust, download the realtor.com app today
5:49 am
>> copd isn't pretty out of breath and often out of the picture. but this is my story and with once-daily trilogy, it can still be beautiful. >> because with three minutes listens and one inhaler trilogy keeps my airways open for a full 24 hours and prevents future flare-ups. trilogy, you also improves lung function i can breathe more freely all day and night. trilogy >> won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. tell your dr. if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it, do not take trilogy more than prescribed. trilogy may increase your risk of thrush pneumonia and now still prozess, call your dr. force in breathing, chest pain, mouth or tongue swelling problems, urinating, vision changes, or i paint occur ask your dr. about once-daily trilogy for copd because breathing should >> be beautiful all day and night >> you always got your mind on
5:50 am
the green mat. you you your business bank account with quickbooks, money now or it's 5% avy >> that's how >> you business differently >> intuit quickbooks with so many choices on booking.com, there are so many tina fey's. i could be. >> so i hired body >> doubles, 30,000 followers, tina and a boutique hotel for 30,000 steps, gene at a mountain cabin >> booking.com. booking dot yeah >> i'm a guy lost a bet and my dignity as of watching my team lumen wasn't punished there's been a nest red car serous odds-on be paid for that yourself. so again, all state >> okay. my friend sent him silver is now clinically shown to support cognitive health and older there are adults. it's one more step towards taking charge of your health. >> so every >> day you can say it said, do silver vegas the story of sin city sunday at ten on cnn
5:51 am
>> welcome back this morning we're taking a much closer look at homelessness in the united states as it reaches a level not seen in the modern era, california is home to 12% of the country's population. but the newest federal survey shows it is also home to 28th percent of the people who are unhoused in america. >> jake tapper takes a closer look in his new series, homeless in america >> this is the sound of someone's entire life essentially being thrown in the trash in the middle of recent record breaking reign in life los angeles. the city is today clearing an encampment for unhoused people. >> los >> angeles mayor karen bass campaigned on fixing the city's homeless crisis this is the radically part of that fix. >> this is exactly why i ran for mayor. this is the reason why mayor bass took me to see the cleanup firsthand, getting
5:52 am
people out of tents and onto buses and into temporary housing. they leave behind anything they cannot carry >> i'll recently stab the about two weeks ago so this is this like a god center. now, by getting indoors and being away from this inside safe is the name of mayor bass is flagship program to tear down these encampments and being l.a.'s un-housed indoors. so when i spoke to you about about a year ago, you talked about your goal for homelessness and the end of homelessness in los angeles. by the end of your first-term? >> well, i think that progress is going well well, we destroyed the myth that people do not want to leave the tents. people don't want to leave the cars and rvs. we've had the opposite problem. we have more people willing to leave, then we have rooms for it. >> a remarkable new study, researchers at the university of california san francisco survey, thousands of the homeless in california. nearly 90% of participants said high housing costs were a barrier to
5:53 am
their moving into permanent housing. and the majority of those surveyed did want to get off the streets there. >> if you on the street that don't want to be housed. but most of them do it. she still find the right house and farm in the right situation. >> the major factors to finding housing are high rents and low-income. then of course there's also discrimination and bad credit. some people don't even have id some have been evicted before. many are dealing with addiction or struggling with physical or mental health problems, affordability is definitely the issue, but the shredding of the social safety net over years has resulted in the situation that we have here. so we have to repair that while we repair the human bins that suffer because of it, the number of people experiencing homelessness and a single night went up 12% in the united states in 2023, in part because covid programs preventing evictions and housing losses
5:54 am
came to an end. a quarter of those people were unhoused for the first time in their lives. how many people fell into homelessness during covid before covid, there were probably about 20 or 30,000 people. now 46,000 today, this man, mark, the father of four, is getting out of his tent and into temporary housing nearby going to go house to do better for myself good. begging my kid's life. >> what do you want people out there watching to know about the unhoused community? >> we're not all drug addicts were not all keys are not all he. was going to hurt and steal from you you see your persian down, i think as a human being to be a great theme, turn around and follow water. you'd like it something that save their life. >> mark's new housing is in these former shipping containers used to build interim housing quickly since the launch of inside safe, more than 2000 people have moved into interim housing, but only
5:55 am
329 have moved into permanent housing. it's mayor bass took office. the program has cost la more than 53 million but the city argues it was well spent. points out the fire department spent nearly 125 million on incidents involving unhoused people last year, there was a misunderstanding about homelessness in this country. a lot of people think it's just people with psychological problems or just people with addiction. >> we have about 9,000 children who are homeless in los angeles. some of them are in and out of schools, some of them attend school, but many are living in cars and rvs. one of the fastest-growing sectors of the unhoused population. our senior the citizens, people in their '60s and '70s, they get priced out of the market and they wind up unhouse, even so california is trying to tackle mental health and substance abuse by implementing care courts to push those who needed off the streets and into treatment. >> this is a controversial opinion i don't think it's
5:56 am
okay to be profoundly mentally ill walking in and out of traffic. and be allowed to be there. i think some people might need to be hospitalized and they might need to be hospitalized against their will. and i think it is inhumane to allow people to die on the streets. >> the short-term solution get people out at the tense off the street out of the cars into these containers. but this isn't a long-term solution for the problem. >> no, but let me just tell you what short-term is. i think short-term is about a year-and-a-half and i say that because it takes a while to build housing unfortunately, the policy de facto had been you stay on the street while we build something i think that is completely unacceptable. so what is the solution? just putting somebody in a house is not enough. there needs to be health care and other social services support and then they need to go into permanent housing. >> jake tapper, cnn, los angeles >> our thanks jake for that important piece in an important
5:57 am
series, i'm glad he's doing you are cnn news central starts after this break. it's a process of good will comes bad debt holding you back >> only re-envisioned all in one. low fixed rates, borrow up to 100 keg, no fees required so phi get your money rights. >> i told myself i was okay with my moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis symptoms with my psoriatic arthritis symptoms but just okay. isn't okay? >> and i was done to settling >> if you still have symptoms after a tnf blocker like humira or enbrel rings. okay? it's different and may help were invoke is a once-daily pill
5:58 am
that can rapidly relieve joint pain, stiffness, and swelling in ra and psa relief fatigue for some and stop joint damage. and in psa can leave skin clear or almost clear, red vote can lower your ability to fight infections, including tv, serious infections and blood class, some fatal cancers including lymphoma and skin part attack, stroke, and gi tears occurred. people 50 and older with a heart disease risk factor have an increased risk of death, serious so allergic reactions can occur. tell your dr. if you are or may become pregnant, dan saddling, ask you rheumatologists for renzo and take back what's yours? he could help you save. >> you, give you give and you give this tax season you get with straight talk wireless. you get unlimited data >> you get >> america's most reliable 5g network. you get a samsung galaxy a51 for only $99. so you can give your janky phone to your kid? >> yeah
5:59 am
>> good talk. >> turn your tax refund into a you fond switch to say talk for plans starting as low as $25 a line, find is that walmart and straight talk.com? >> the fast sides signage that gets you noticed. it turns hot mop into homes that's side's make your statement me and you was lynched do you keep your head hill half just like mumtaz >> you guys to stay. >> was my sister some needed we need to look like we pulled home you see that colored people
6:00 am
on your phone, install the free keepsake app. we would love a chance to frame it for you >> i'm elizabeth wagmeister in los angeles this is cnn

56 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on